CPPPH is an independent, non-profit California public benefit corporation established in 2009 to develop a comprehensive statewide physician health program so that California does not remain one of the few states without such a resource. It is a collaborative effort funded by many medical organizations including specialty societies, county medical societies, as well as the California Hospital Association and liability carriers and medical groups. It provides consultation, coordination, education and network-building. It promulgates guidelines for physician health service providers and policies and procedures for physician health committees. »For other information, see “About CPPPH.”
CPPPH workshops designed for members and staff of physician health committees. See information about each workshop below. Materials from past workshops are also available.
NOTE: Workshops on Assessing the Aging Physician* are open to all interested persons with a clinical or administrative role.
- *Saturday, March 15, 2014 – Sierra Sacramento Valley Regional Workshop
- Saturday, April 5, 2014 – San Diego Regional Workshop
- *Saturday, June 7, 2014 - San Francisco Bay Area Regional Workshop
- *Saturday, July 26, 2014 – Los Angeles Regional Workshop
“Stepping Up to Leadership: Platinum Level Training Program for Physician Leaders” offered by IMQ and PACE: March 6-8 in San Diego. Topics include Effective Communication, The Distruptive Professional, Credentialing and Privileging, The Impaired Physician, Physician Well-Being Committees. For information, contact Leslie Iacopi 415-882-5167 or see http://www.IMQ.org.
Riverside County Medical Association 26th Annual Western States Regional Conference on Physicians’ Well-Being
Date: Wednesday, May 21, 2014 8:00 am – 4:45 pm
Location: University of California Riverside Extension Center
Click HERE for more information.
Guideline documents from different organizations. The most recently added are:
- CMA Guidelines for Physician Well-Being Committees [PDF]
(September 2013 Edition)
This comprehensive 29-page document prepared by CMA Legal Department covers all pertinent areas starting with medical staff bylaws and The Joint Commission Standard MS2.6, continuing through committee policies and procedures, through monitoring, confidentiality and peer review protections.
- Guidelines for Evaluations of Health Care Professionals [PDF]
This guideline from CPPPH describes all the elements involved in getting a clinical evaluation, including qualifications of those who conduct evaluations, the preparation to be completed in advance, and the recommended contents of the report. This document focuses on the evaluations that are used to determine diagnoses, assess severity, identify appropriate clinical interventions, assess patient safety, and/or determine what steps should be taken to protect public safety, and the physician’s personal health and career.
Articles, Sample Documents, Policy Statements
- Drug Testing: A White Paper of the American Society of Addiction Medicine (ASAM)
October 26, 2013
The science and the current practice of drug testing are covered in this 115-page, highly referenced paper from the American Society of Addiction Medicine with reviews of all aspects, from patient care and public health to public protection.
- Substance Use Disorders Among Anesthesiology Residents 1975-2009
Records from the American Board of Anesthesiology (ABA) and the Disciplinary Action Notification Service (DANS) of the Federation of State Medical Boards are analyzed in depth in this article (JAMA. 2013;310(21):2289-2296). The authors, from the Mayo Clinic (Rochester) Department of Anesthesiology and the ABA, say, “To our knowledge, this report provides the first comprehensive description of the epidemiology and outcomes of SUD for any in-training physician specialty group.” The full text is available from JAMA.
Confidential Assistance Over the Phone
The Physicians’ and Dentists’ Confidential Assistance Line is 24-hour phone service providing completely confidential doctor-to-doctor assistance. See brochure.
If you are involved in physician health activities in California, you may find helpful information in these CPPPH e-Newsletters.
- Issue #6, January 2014: Drug Testing: A White Paper, Age-related Screening of Physicians, Substance Use Disorders Among Anesthesiology Residents 1975-2009
- Issue #5, October 2013: MBC Proposed Regulations for Probationers, Updated CMA Guidelines for Well-Being Committees and Monitoring, New York Times Medicines Search for Meaning
- Issue #4, July 2013: Propofol Abuse 1990-2010, Drug Testing as a Monitoring Tool, Finding Meaning in Medicine
- Issue #3, April 2013: Aging, International Doctors in AA, Grand Rounds or Committee Meetings
- Issue #2, January 2013: Resources, Guidelines, Making Well-Being Committees Available, Grand Rounds
- Issue #1, October 2012: Disruptive Behavior, Guidelines, Aging, Grand Rounds