CPPPH is an independent, non-profit California public benefit corporation established in 2009 to develop a comprehensive statewide physician health program so that California does not remain one of the few states without such a resource. It is a collaborative effort funded by many medical organizations including specialty societies, county medical societies, as well as the California Hospital Association and liability carriers and medical groups. It provides consultation, coordination, education and network-building. It promulgates guidelines for physician health service providers and policies and procedures for physician health committees. »For other information, see “About CPPPH.”
CPPPH workshops for members of physician health committees. See the materials from each workshop by clicking below.
- Saturday, May 4, 2013 – Sierra Sacramento Valley Regional Workshop
- Saturday, July 13, 2013 – San Diego Regional Workshop
- Saturday, September 7, 2013 – Los Angeles Regional Workshop
- Saturday, September 28, 2013 – San Francisco BayArea Regional Workshop
Riverside County Medical Association 25th Annual Western States Regional Conference on Physicians’ Well-Being, May 22, 2013. Program and Registration Information
- Making Informed Choices: CPPPH Guidelines for Selecting Physician Health Services 2013 [PDF] Adopted by CPPPH July 2012
- Evaluations of Health Care Professionals: Guidelines for Physician Health Committees [PDF] Distributed for comment before it is made final. Instructions for where to send comments are included in the document. All comments received by May 31, 2013 will be considered.
- Finding Meaning in Medicine: Guideline for Forming Support Groups _2011 From Rachel Naomi Remen, MD. How to begin a FMM group by inviting physician friends to meet, usually once a month. Groups tend to grow organically, using these guidelines.
Sample documents, articles, policy statements. The most recently added are:
- Physician Resilience and Burnout: Can You Make the Switch? [PDF]
Family Practice Management January/February 2013
© 2012 American Academy of Family Physicians
- Why are MDs Burning Out in Record Numbers [PDF]
Medscape Nov. 27, 2012
- Responding to Behaviors that Undermine a Culture of Safety [PDF] A 2010 CME article from NORCAL
- Disruptive Physician Behavior: Use & Misuse of the Label [PDF] Journal of Medical Regulation (2011) Vol. 98, No. 1
- Prognosis for the Recovery of Surgeons From Chemical Dependency | A 5-Year Outcome Study JAMA Surgery (Nov 2011)
Confidential Assistance Over the Phone
The Physicians’ and Dentists’ Confidential Assistance Line is 24-hour phone service providing completely confidential doctor-to-doctor assistance. See brochure.
If you are involved in physician health activities in California, you may find helpful information in these CPPPH e-Newsletters.
- Issue #3, April 2013: Aging, International Doctors in AA, Grand Rounds or Committee Meetings
- Issue #2, January 2013: Resources, Guidelines, Making Well-Being Committees Available, Grand Rounds
- Issue #1, October 2012: Disruptive Behavior, Guidelines, Aging, Grand Rounds